Tuesday 22 December 2015

2016 Goals

Ah, New Years. That time when a whole year of possibilities lays before us. Many people make resolutions, and some of them actually manage to keep them. I won't offer any advice on that subject; there are tons of people much better at coaching than I am to give you that kind of help. For instance, the wonderfully named Kelvin Lozano has designed a great looking planner to keep everything on track. Find the Thrive planner here.

Lots of people will tell you to pick one goal and focus on it. That's sound thinking.

Until you get frustrated. It'll happen. Then you'll want another goal or project to keep your mind off things until a solution appears.

Thus, having multiple projects makes sense. Especially if they're in different areas of interest. For example, here's my list for 2016:

-complete an ultramarathon. A few years ago, I was a dedicated runner. Then I blew up my knee in the Mississauga Marathon. Turns out I should have trusted my instincts and stuck to trail running. Well, my knee is better now. Time to get back into it. I know it'll take me multiple attempts to finish an ultra; it's a grueling battle to even come close. I'm picking a few to register for that take place weeks or months apart to give myself a fighting chance, and plotting a training schedule to get me ready. It'll happen.

-Go climbing regularly. There's a climbing gym across the road from my workplace. I could get in a bouldering session on my lunch break. Why am I not doing it? No reason beyond sheer laziness, I expect. How shall I overcome it? By getting a membership and keeping my shoes, clothes, and chalk bag in my office. The gym even has a system where you can list when you're available to climb and they'll pair you up with a partner so you don't have to con your friends into going. That's a win.

-Finish re-upholstering my truck. This is a project that's already underway.All I have to do is keep on it. This is a bit of it so far. Only 12 feet to go!

-Get the bodywork on the truck done. Which means finding all the tools I need. I can do that.

-24 Hours of Lemons. This is a laundry list of smaller projects, from finding the right car at the right price, keeping the team together, installing the rollcage and safety gear, etc. etc.

-Millwright and welding tickets. Mostly consists of taking some classes and sitting some exams.

-complete the handmade wardrobe project, in which the goal is to have every item in my wardrobe either made or heavily modified by me.

-Make Toronto Furniture Rescue a viable entity. What I want to do is take poor abandoned and abused furniture, either dumpstered or from the Free sections of sites like Craigslist and give it some TLC, then get it sold. Must figure out how to sell things...

-learn blacksmithing. Already found the instructor, now to get out there and get dirty!

-cook my way through every episode of Top Chef. This might turn out to be another blog.

-Host a skillsharing party where each person teaches everyone else a new skill, from knitting to metalwork.

-Find an apprenticeship.

-meet some new people and make some friends!

Now that I've put my list out into the world, I'll have to do it. People are watching, right? Here's to accountability!

Happy New Year everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment