Wednesday 2 December 2015

Help Me Escape My Desk!

I feel like a bit of a hypocrite, spending time writing a blog about making and handmade, about how important the trades are, while sitting at my desk as an office administrator. It's a creeping form of guilt that begins as soon as I turn on the computer. I spend a lot of my time with youtube running in the background; in the course of a day I'll listen in on instructions about how to shape a motorcycle gas tank from sheet metal, peek at video about mold making for special effects props, or rewatch one of Adam Savage's keynote speeches from any of the hundreds of Maker Faire events he's spoken at. Lately, I've found I can't listen to Adam without being reduced almost to tears.

If you don't know Adam, he's one of the hosts of Mythbusters on the Discovery Channel and probably the leading voice of the Maker movement. Adam's built everything from a precision model of a complete Dodo bird skeleton to models used in the production of The Matrix: Revolutions (back when he worked at Industrial Light and Magic). He's an obsessive, talented maker. He's an inspiration in so many ways, putting out instructional videos and One Day Builds on Tested.com to share his skills and knowledge with others. Adam didn't set out to be a celebrity- he followed his passion for creating to it's natural conclusion.

Here's one of Adam's talks that really touched me:


That's what I want. Why should I waste my life sitting at a desk creating (pointless) spreadsheets and marketing materials for products I couldn't care less about, waiting for the moment when I can escape to whatever project I'm working on? For the moment when I can get dirty?

I've decided I'm done.


I went through all the reasons I couldn't change anything. It took me a long time to land this job. I don't have the right skill set. I haven't got any certifications or licenses. I can't afford to take a pay cut.

Luckily for me, I have an amazing sister. Knowing the sorts of things I do in my free time, like taking classes in automotive repair and welding, she did what I wasn't brave enough to do. She looked for jobs that would suit me better than this one. 

Turns out I was wrong. The skill sets I have are more than enough to get me an apprenticeship in several different trades. 

But- apprentices only get paid minimum wage, right? Hell no. An apprentice millwright (which is an industrial mechanic who typically fixes manufacturing equipment) makes $4 more an hour than I do. There goes the pay cut fear. 

Apprentices are by definition studying to get their licenses. 

Which means the only thing holding me back is... me. 

I'm not the kind of person who lets anyone tell me I can't do something. If you try, I will immediately figure out a way to do it. (Good thing no one's ever told me I can't rob a bank!)

So. Here's the bit where I ask for help. The scariest thing about applying for any job is writing the cover letter. They're dry, generally boring, and we all suspect that everyone's telling lies. I'm going to try a different tactic. Telling the truth about who I am and what I've done, and what I believe I can do. That's got to be a nice change for an HR person, right? That's where you come in. Please read my letter, and tell me what you think in the comments!

Dear {manager's name},

For nearly twenty years, I pulled double duty at a machine shop as both a technician and the operations manager. My mornings were spent
-using tools such as calipers and micrometers,
-CNC grinding equipment,
-manual or automatic welding machines to maintain and repair saw blades.
-operating ultrasonic cleaners,
-installing precision bearings,
 and maintaining various motors and pumps.

 At lunch, I changed hats and went into the office to oversee invoicing, shipping, budget reporting, scheduling, and all the other important paperwork that keeps a business running. 

When our shop closed due to the owner's passing, I pursued opportunities in the administrative field. I've been successful in my current position but something just doesn't feel right. I miss the experience of working on machines, of being able to hold something in my hands and say "I made this." I attend night school to learn about welding, metalwork, and industrial maintenance; getting my hands dirty a few nights a week just doesn't cut it. That's why I'm writing you this letter, in hopes that you will accept my application for the position of apprentice millwright. 

If you'd like to know more about me, you can contact me for an interview at XXX-XXX-XXXX or by email at XXXX@XXXX.com. 

Sincerely,

Milo Newsted


1 comment:

  1. Hi Milo, I think it sounds really compelling! Great work on putting together a cover letter that's not copied from "Example #3 of a Cover Letter" off someone else's website. I can't edit effectively this way though, so if you're interested in more in depth comments can you PM me through my Facebook page on the LYL Creator's Guild? (Susan Violet) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete