Wednesday 3 February 2016

My Cure for Depression


Yesterday sucked.

My co-worker who refuses to wear headphones because "they hurt my head" and thus subjects me to her dubious taste in music listened to classical dirges all day. She also decided that the overhead lights in our office were bothering her eyes because they suddenly give off a glare, meaning that I was stuck working by the glow of an underpowered desk lamp. It made me somnolent to say the least. I was bored. To top it off, my boss handed off what could have been an interesting project that I'm more than qualified for to my annoying co-worker. I felt insulted and rejected. And useless. I dragged myself through the rest of the work day propped up with more coffee than is healthy.

By the time I got home, I was thoroughly depressed. I didn't want to do anything other than lay around and sulk.

I didn't have that luxury. Tuesday night is sheet metal fabrication class. I paid good money for that! Cranky and muttering random curses under my breath I gathered up my notes and my tools, put on my steel toes and went to class.

Twenty minutes later:

I was covered in saw dust and schwarf. Grinning from ear to ear. I felt like I was accomplishing something. It wasn't a complicated project, nor did I execute it particularly well. No matter. I had a tool in my hand and everything I did had an immediate effect that I could see. I understood how the techniques could be used for something practical. Something way more useful than a friggin' spreadsheet.

Today I'm back at my desk. The spreadsheets are still there. I'm still bored. That's okay. Last night proved something long suspected- working with my hands is the quickest route to happiness. Some people drink, some people shop. I just have to get dirty, have to make something. Now I'm prepared for a long day of corporate drudgery.

I've got a book on fabrication techniques in my bag to read on my lunch hour, and a notebook full of sketches and plans. I've got a class tonight.

Tomorrow I'm teaching someone how to sew.

Office manager is what it says on my business card. I say I'm a maker.

When your circumstances take you to a dark place, reach for who you really are. Take a minute and be your real self, even if all you're actually doing is daydreaming about being somewhere else. Daydreams are the roots of goals, and goals will take you anywhere you want.

[Depressed employee image by Strategy Magazine]

No comments:

Post a Comment