Thursday 12 November 2015

Dirty Hands Will Save Your Life


Normally, a blank page is inspiring, full of possibility. I can tell any story I choose, be anyone I can imagine for a moment. This blog is different. I don't mean for it to be fiction. I want it to be as real as possible; a place to show and tell what's important to me.

Just what is important to me, you ask? Well, on the most basic level, creating is what makes me tick. I make things and invent things and modify things. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. That's what I'll write about here. Documenting my process isn't something I'm terribly good at. When I'm working on something, I get very focused and stopping to take photos simply doesn't occur to me. I'll do my best.

What I want people to get out of this blog is simple: I want people to read my posts and think "hey, I could do that!" Then maybe they'll go do it. I sure hope they do!

Things I have on the go right now that'll end up here in some way:
-Sets and props for a community theatre production
-a 100% hand-made wardrobe
-a kitchenette set that desperately needs some TLC
-an antique cabinet in need of repair and refinishing
-tchotckes for a craft swap
-shoes made from scratch (this project is a bit of a fail right now, but I'm working on it!)
-a total overhaul of my pickup truck

Oh, and a pair of socks I'm knitting that might turn out to be the world's ugliest!

Why am I doing this? Because I believe that people are inherently creative, and when we stop making and experimenting and imagining it's bad for our health, our sanity, and our world. Sitting around doing nothing except watching TV makes you depressed. Let's get going!

No comments:

Post a Comment